Pages

30/11/2012

Citizenship Ceremony at City Council on Wednesday


On Wednesday afternoon, I was honoured to be invited to attend the citizenship ceremony of a friend and Broughty Ferry resident who was acquiring her British Citizenship.

The ceremony took place in the ornate setting of Committee Room One in the Council Offices in City Square. The ceremony was directed by a Registrar from the City Council who took the applicants through their oaths of allegiance and pledges to the United Kingdom (see below). Former Leader of the Council, Jill Shimi, was there in her new role as a Deputy Lord Lieutenant of the City.  In her role as Her Majesty the Queen's representative, she welcomed the applicants and individually presented them with their certificates and a commemorative medal from Dundee City Council.

The ceremony was concluded with the National Anthem.

It was truly a suitable occasion for individuals, their families and friends, to properly mark the acquisition of British Citizenship.

The oath is - I, [name], [swear by Almighty God] [do solemnly and truly declare and affirm] that, on becoming a British citizen, I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, Her Heirs and Successors according to law.

The pledge is - I will give my loyalty to the United Kingdom and respect its rights and freedoms. I will uphold its democratic values. I will observe its laws faithfully and fulfil my duties and obligations as a British citizen.