Pages

06/05/2013

My Viewpoint on the Proposed Biomass Power Station in Dundee

A number of constituents have contacted me to covey their viewpoint about the proposed biomass power station in the Dundee Docks. This is not surprising as this is clearly a major issue that reportedly drew a full house at the Gardyne Theatre for the Courier Debate on Wednesday 1st May.
Perhaps what is surprising for constituents is that I have not publicly made a statement about this. Some may have thought that I was sitting on the fence or disinterested, but neither of these explain my public silence on the issue.
A senior legal officer from the Council has advised me that were I to publicly express a view in favour or against the Biomass Power Station now, I should run the risk of not being allowed to vote when the matter comes before a Council committee next month. This is because the decision on the biomass is considered to be quasi-judicial. Rather like a juror in trial, I should only express a view and make a decision when I have all the evidence in front of me at the meeting.
I trust therefore that my constituents will appreciate that my public silence on this issue displays neither indifference nor disinterest on this most important issue for the city; rather my public silence indicates I am listening to the debate and availing myself of the evidence. Furthermore, I can reassure constituents, and other interested parties, that meanwhile I am carefully reading their representations.