Pages

26/09/2012

National Go Home on Time Day

Today is National Go Home on Time Day. The reason why I am featuring this is that I think many folk who are in work are working excessive hours. This is especially true following significant reductions in staff in many private, public and third sector organisations.

In our Council I know from my direct experience that many of our Senior staff are working long hours whether they are still at their desks in Dundee House or continuing to work outside the office on their smart phones and home computers. In the last few days I have had emails from senior members of  City Council Staff with the following times:


  • Saturday 22 September 2012 09:18
  • Tuesday 25 September 2012 08:17
  • Tuesday 25 September 2012 21:34

While I applaud their dedication, this does not suggest we are promoting a good work life balance for our staff. I also think that their long hours are evidence of the mounting pressure of their papering over the cracks which are opening up following widespread early retirals.