Pages

22/09/2012

Cyclists and Pedestrians Need to Show Mutual Consideration on Shared Coastal Pathway

Diverse traffic on the coastal pathway
 at Grassy Beach - click to enlarge
I think many of my constituents are aware that I enjoy walking along the coastal pathway between Douglas Terrace and the Stannergate. Most days I take our dog Milli for a walk along this pathway. Milli enjoys chasing a ball on the beach and a swim off the slipway at Grassy Beach. On my walks, I usually encounter other dog walkers, joggers, folk out with children in the buggy, walkers, drivers of mobility scooters and of course cyclists; all of whom have the right to use this pathway.

Some walkers I have encountered resent the presence of cyclist using the pathway. I usually point out that it was the charity Sustainable Transport (Sustrans) which made substantial grants towards the upgrading of each of the sections of the pathway so that that it could remain open. The walkers accept that if this was the price of retaining the pathway so be it. 

But several walkers have expressed their concern that the mixed modes of human traffic sharing this pathway is 
"an accident waiting to happen"
They point out how frightening it can be when a cyclists comes up behind them and passes them at speed. But it's not just the cyclists who may offend other path users. I sometimes witness dogs running out of control and in front of cyclists. I have also seen walkers and joggers engrossed in their music and unaware of other traffic on the route.

So the issue I want to raise is the need for all those who use this pathway to show more consideration to each other. This means cyclists ensuring they have a bell or other warning device and make use of this as they approach pedestrians up ahead. It also means that they should moderate their speed when approaching walkers especially when the pedestrians are blind sided.  For walkers it means their avoiding getting engrossed with their music or their conversation so that they don't step out in front of an approaching bike. Dog walkers should also try to keep their dogs under control and clear up their dog's mess and dispose of this in the bins provided.

I have also written to the Head of Transportation to see whether the walkway hard surface might be divided into two lanes; one for pedestrians and one for cyclists. I am hoping this may be possible when the final section of the pathway is rebuilt later this financial year and the pathway has a more uniform width.