Pages

10/09/2012

Dundee Cyclathon Success 2012

Registration in Camperdown Park
Yesterday I took part in the Dundee Cyclathon organised by Claverhouse Rotary Club. The cyclathon uses the Dundee Green Circular route with a start and finish in Camperdown Park. The event encourages fund raising for the Caring for Kids charity or for the self-nominated charity of an individual or teams of entrants. The Cyclathon is not a race and includes cyclists of varying ages and abilities.

This year I registered a team, 'Bidwell Bikers' raising money for Tushinde Children's Trust that supports the education and nutrition of children living in the sprawling Mathare slums in Nairobi.  I had signed up my two daughters to cycle and attract sponsorship with me. My older daughter badly sprained her ankle and so had to withdraw from the event. Her place was taken by a neighbour.

As well as enjoying a pleasant bike ride round the circuit and collecting our medals at the end, we have already raised over £250 and there's more to come in from folk who have committed to support us and from whom we now need to collect the cash.

As a Councillor, it was also interesting for me to do the rounds because some improvements to the Green Circular route have been proposed in a report that is being considered by the Environment Committee later today. As I have cycled round the route the day before the meeting, I think that will give what I have to say some additional credibility.

One early observation is that the frequency and positioning of Green Circular way markers is inadequate and that does need to improve. 

Another observation, is that our Environment Department staff have worked really hard to bring the Green Circular route up to scratch for this event and the general public at other times.

A good day out on two wheels.