Pages

12/04/2016

Fort Street Bridge Damage - Follow Up from Council

Fort Street Bridge - damage to parapetEarlier this month, I reported the fact that holes had developed in the some of the panels on the parapet of the Fort Street rail bridge. It also looked as though some of the panels had been pushed or kicked in.  

I was unsure whether these holes represented a potential danger to the public especially young children, but I could see that they were unsightly. 

I am a Councillor, not an engineer. I therefore I err on the side of caution and refer things like this to experts in the City Engineers. 

I have received a very helpful and courteous email following a site inspection by one of our engineers. They wrote:

"Thanks you for the information on the above bridge. The defects to the inside face of the parapets have been picked up during an inspection and an order has been issued to deal with it. I am currently waiting on the date for the work to be carried out. It is intended to carry out repairs to all the panels which are damaged or showing signs of damage."

I think the message to public should be clear: Get it sorted get it reported!