Pages

08/04/2013

Some Broughty Ferry Train Fares Will be Cheaper Too

List of Broughty Ferry Train Fare Reductions
Click on image to enlarge
I was pleased to learn on 2nd April that the Transport Minister, Keith Brown MSP, has announced reduced Dundee rail fares from 19 May 2013 removing anomalies in ticketing prices which had been dubbed the Tay Train Tax.

However a spokesperson for ScotRail had pointed out that the new deal would only end 
split-ticketing on *more popular journeys*. They had warned that, it may still be possible to find a cheaper deal by stringing together several legs of a journey, or splitting less common fares. It was not clear from this statement whether the changes announced by The Transport Minister would also help remove anomalies in the rail fares to and from Broughty Ferry which I have regularly highlighted.

I therefore contacted ScotRail for clarification. I was pleased to receive a quick response from ScotRail and relieved that they were able to confirm a range of lower ticket prices for travellers using Broughty Ferry station. For example:
Broughty Ferry to Glasgow Anytime Single
Exisiting Price        New Price
£26:30                   £20:70

While all these ticket reductions listed are welcome, I know many travellers reply on saver tickets and few if any of these seem to be reduced.

I am glad that the Scottish Government and ScotRail have been prepared to listen to representations from me and regular rail users from the Ferry. I hope they are still listening because we still need a more regular train service to go with the new train fares plus a ticket vending machine on the platform. I also hope a regular hourly service for Broughty Ferry will be included in the new rail franchise for Scotland when it goes out to tender.