Pages

30/01/2013

Waterlogged Roads and Paths in The Ferry Yesterday

Yesterday afternoon was another period of squally rain in The Ferry. As I went round my Tuesday afternoon surgeries, I noticed lots of examples where drains could not cope with the rainfall. Now this pattern of rainfall seems the norm, rather than the exception, I think our drainage on streets and paths needs improvement.

When I visited the Forthill Sheltered Housing Complex in Forthill Drive for my surgery at 3:30pm, I noticed that the drain in the path up to the Complex entrance was blocked again and so elderly residents were having to paddle through the water to get to and from the front door of the Complex. This is a perennial issue and is just not good enough for folk who are residents in 'sheltered' housing. I have reported this to the Housing Department. I hope the residents can expect a prompt and more thorough work on unblocking the drain this time.

Later in the afternoon, I was driving down Balgillo Road East linking Balgillo Road with the Arbroath Road. Just short of the roundabout water had extended over the pavement and road on the western side of this busy road. This really would be a challenging place to walk or cycle as motorists had no room to evade the water and so prevent soaking a pedestrian or cyclists as they drove past.  I have reported this to the Council and the Roads' Maintenance Partnership.