Pages

07/01/2012

Call for Repairs to the Sea Wall in Broughty Ferry and an Engineer's Report

On Thursday afternoon, I had a look at the stretch of the sea wall that runs alongside Douglas Terrace to the Broughty Ferry Lifeboat station. I was concerned about what I was able to observe.  After the recent spate of gale force winds, there is evidence of damage to the sea wall with sections of dislodged stonework. In some places it is also clear that storm force waves have got behind some sections of the wall potentially undermining it.

I have written to the City Engineer to request an immediate inspection of the entire length of the wall from Grassy Beach (underneath the walkway) to the Harbour with immediate repairs instructed where the wall has been undermined. I have also requested a report to go to a future meeting of the City Development Committee assessing the adequacy of the sea wall bearing in mind the recent weather patterns and the potential threat to the footways and roads that runs alongside the wall. 

The photograph I took on the beach shows an obvious breach in the sea wall beside Fisher Street in Broughty Ferry. The hole in the sea wall extends back underneath some distance. I think the full extent of this undermining and further erosion of the stonework along the wall needs to be examined as a matter of urgency.