Pages

02/06/2013

Remembering Coronation Day 3 June 1953

Sixty years ago today, the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II took place in Westminster Abbey in London. 

This anniversary reminds me that watching the coronation is my earliest memory of watching television. I was sitting on a cushion on the floor in front of many adults sitting in their chairs. We were all peering at the flickering black and white images on a 10" TV set.

I think I was on holiday with my parents and sister in the Isle of Wight and the set we watched was at our B and B.

The other lasting impression was the voice of Richard Dimbleby who did the commentary.

It's not surprising that this is my earliest memory of TV viewing as we didn't have a TV at home at the time; hardly affordable and certainly unfeasible as we lived in a house without electricity.