Pages

04/10/2012

Leak in the Sewerage Pipeline Running Under the Beach in Broughty Ferry

Yesterday I reported  a leak I had observed in the main sewerage pipeline which is buried beneath the beach near Douglas Terrace. About 50 metres west of the pumping station at the end of Douglas Terrace, I could see foul water leaking out of the side of the concrete mound that apparently protects an inspection hatch. 

I also noticed that the action of the sea had clearly undermined part of the structure. This can be glimpsed in my picture.

I think this represents a health hazard and source of pollution of our beach. Perhaps this is the cause of the sewage smell that has occasionally been wafting about the area recently.

I have requested Scottish Water organise an urgent and comprehensive response. 

I must say, from the time when this sewerage pipeline was constructed, I had my reservations about the wisdom of routing it under the beach. I imagined it would be hard to protect the pipeline from the destructive forces of the sea. I had also thought that it would be difficult to spot a leak when there is so much water around and the beach above the pipeline is covered by the tide for many hours a day. Unfortunately, what I had feared seems to have come to pass.

I copied my report to Scottish Water to the Director of the City Council's Environment Department and to the City Engineer.