Pages

04/08/2012

Safer Routes for Cycling Now on Google Maps

Click on map to enlarge

Finding a safer route to ride your bike is set to be easier as cycling routes are made available on UK Google Maps for the first time. This follows a collaboration between the UK charity Sustrans and Google.


In what is a ground-breaking move, National Cycle Network routes across the UK can now be navigated online using a new bicycle symbol on Google Maps, alongside the options of driving, public transport and walking.


Cyclists can now plan their trips, make use of bike lanes, calculate cycle-friendly routes that avoid big hills and customise the map for cycling on smart phones and computers.


My illustration above shows the results of my trying out this feature and asking for directions from my home postcode in The Ferry to my office in City Square. If you enlarge the screen shot from my computer you can clearly see the National Cycle Network routes marked and selected. I think many cyclists will find this a useful feature so that they can easily locate safer routes to cycle to work, school, shopping or for fun and fitness.


I also notice that Google Maps are inviting interested parties to help them develop their cycle maps by sending in details of cycle routes other than those that are part of the network of national cycle routes. I have written to the Director of Transportation to request that Dundee Travel Active are invited to input to Google Maps the detailed information they have on record about local cycle tracks and routes throughout the city.