Pages

31/08/2012

Education Review Group Meeting Secrets

Yesterday morning, I attended a meeting of the Education Review Group in the Council's Committee Room 1. This was Chaired by the Chief Executive, David Dorward, and involved a wide range of people with an interest in the Education of young people in the city. This included, amongst others, the Director of Education and Head Teacher representatives and two other Councillors. 

I found this to be a very positive meeting at which we discussed a number of important educational issues for nearly two hours. I think many parents, carers and teachers would be interested in our deliberations and decisions. Unfortunately, I can't reveal any further details about the agenda, or the papers issued for this meeting because the papers were stamped: 
"NOT FOR PUBLICATION IN TERMS OF
PARAGRAPHS 3.14 AND 3.15 OF THE CODE
OF CONDUCT FOR COUNCILLORS"

I regret that I am curbed from extending these discussions by writing about them here. I think, in this instance these restrictions are disproportionate and unnecessary and arguably a gagging clause is counter productive. I have written to David Dorward, to suggest these restrictions are lifted.