Pages

25/03/2012

Inspiring Exhibition at Forthill Sheltered Housing Lounge

Yesterday morning I spent a most enjoyable hour at the Art Exhibition at Forthill Sheltered Housing Complex in Forthill Drive. The annual exhibition features paintings produced by members of the Art Class that runs at the lounge once a week. In the photo you can see Joe Murray one of the artists standing in front of several of his paintings. 
I particularly appreciated the autumnal woodland scene painted by Julie Duncan. She told me her inspiration came from a visit to the Enchanted Forest near Dunkeld last Autumn. I only held back from snapping it up by the lack of vacant wall space at home to hang more paintings.
I think the most significant thing about the class is that here are a group of senior citizens actively involved in developing or rediscovering their creativity. This is the kind of older age I think we would all aspire to.
It's clear to me that many older people need much more than caring services; given the opportunity, like these residents, they will readily engage in challenging learning and development pursuits and activities.