Pages

13/09/2010

PE Shortfall in Dundee Secondary Schools

Last week I publicly queried why two of our Dundee Secondary Schools were not providing the government recommended two hours of quality Physical Education per week for all their pupils in S1- 4 classes.

This week, I have been surprised to learn that St John's Roman Catholic High School and Craigie High School are the two secondary schools in the city that were apparently not meeting this standard. This is puzzling because both these schools have excellent indoor and outdoor facilities for physical education.

I am pleased that my questions have led to the Education Department committing to undertaking to 'audit the provision of PE in all our schools' again. I hope that the Education Convener, Councillor Liz Fordyce, has appointed sufficient qualified PE staff to ensure that this standard can be achieved in all nine of our Secondary Schools.