Pages

06/09/2010

Magnficicent Production of Crazy for You by DSMT

On Friday evening I had the pleasure of attending the latest inspired performance from Dundee Schools Music Theatre (DSMT) at the Whitehall Theatre.

This relatively 'new' musical, from the 1990s, weaves together a plot about a New York playboy who is sent to Deadlock, Nevada to revive a dying theatre with well loved songs composed by George and Ira Gershwin in the 1930s.

I was really impressed with two leads who not only possessed outstanding singing voices but also danced well and had dramatic poise. The rhythm and synchronicity of the company of dancers was admirable as they powered their way through a variety of song and dance routines.

I hope that the SNP administration on the City Council do not try to cut this veritable 'jewel in the crown' of the Education Service in Dundee. Ominously, when I invited the Convener of Education, Liz Fordyce, to declare her support for DSMT at the last Education Committee meeting, she declined to do so. I think it would be crazy for you and me if the SNP led council were to disinvest in the performing arts in our schools.