Pages

25/04/2014

High Council Fees Will Prevent Many Dundee Residents from Using High Hedges New Powers

I was very disappointed when Dundee City Council fixed a £400 fee for submitting an application under the provisions of the High Hedges (Scotland) Act 2013, which has just come into effect. 

I think the potential of this new measure has been surely blunted by the City Council imposing this level of fee. I believe this will be a real barrier to many folk involving the Council in resolving a prolonged neighbour dispute about overly high hedges.

I know that some of my long suffering constituents had been looking forward to this Act coming into force. For these folk, a high hedge on their boundary really intrudes into their lives by cutting out direct sunlight in their homes and gardens. I am sure these constituents will feel the Council has been unsympathetic setting their fee so high. I am concerned that will be an insurmountable hurdle for constituents pursuing a dispute which typically they have had to suffer for many years. 

If Angus Council can fix their fee at £275, I am mystified why Dundee has imposed such a relatively high charge.