Pages

14/03/2014

Camphill Road Post Box is Reopened by Royal Mail

Post Box at the junction of Camphill Road with Bughties Road Broughty Ferry
Damaged Wall and 'closed' post box December 2013
Royal Mail have recently reversed their decision to permanently suspend collections from a Broughty Ferry post box. The post box in question is built into the stone wall at the junction of Camphill and Bughties Roads.

This week a constituent has written to let me know they are now able to use this post box again. My constituent wrote:
"I am writing to thank you all (all Four Ferry Councillors) for the help you have given in recovering the post box. I shall test it out today by sending a letter to friends and relatives in England. it was really good to see the Royal Mail responding to local pressure. Neighbours are delighted."

In December, I publicised residents' concerns about delays to the restoration of the stone wall in which the the post box was mounted and the temporary suspension of collections from this post box. The photograph, shows the wall damaged by a car colliding with it and the safety fencing preventing collections from the post box set in the wall. This accident, I think, provided the pretext for Royal Mail trying to permanently withdraw collections from the box.

I am pleased to have played my part in restoring the postal service by corresponding with Managment at a Royal Mail and submitting Freedom of Information requests to uncover whom they had consulted in the City Council and with what response. It seems in retrospect that the case to justify permanent closure of this postal box was flimsy. I am pleased that decision has been overturned.