Pages

10/11/2013

Remembrance Sunday 2013

Earlier today, I attended the Remembrance Sunday service at St Mary's Episcopal Church in Broughty Ferry.

It was a thought provoking service during which one of our congregational members read out the names recorded in the roll of honour inscribed on the chancel screen. This included the names of several members of the same family who had died in the first world war.


When you go home

tell them of us and say
For your tomorrow
we gave our today
(Kohima Epitaph)

During the service, I was particularly remembering my maternal Grandfather, Herbert Stevenswho had been born in Maidstone and I had known had served in the First World War. I had always assumed that he had joined The Queen’s Own Buffs, The Royal Kent Regiment. While I was browsing through a box of assorted papers kept by my Mother, I discovered his Character Certificate. This confirmed he had, in fact, served in the Royal Scots Reserve until he was discharged, 'no longer fit for war' in October 1917.