Pages

23/11/2011

East Coast Train Journey From Dundee - Let's Hang on To What We've Got


On Monday I took the 09:06 East Coast London train from Dundee station. On the train, I was delighted to meet my Labour colleague Marlyn Glen, the former MSP for North East Scotland. I was going  to Edinburgh but, like many of the folk who got on the train with their cases, Marlyn was travelling down to London.


When I am travelling by rail to a destination beyond Edinburgh, I always look to see whether there is a long distance through train to save me changing trains on the way. I also value the East Coast 125 express services as they usually have shorter journey times to Edinburgh. Additionally, I prefer the layout in their carriages with plenty of tables to sit and read my paper at or to plug in my notebook computer.


These through trains are also a boon to folk struggling with their holiday luggage or parents and carers with children and push chairs. 

I am sure many residents in Dundee value East CoastCross Country and Caledonian Sleeper long distance train services that run to and from Dundee. If the SNP government's proposal for the future of rail services in Scotland goes ahead, we would be left stranded in Dundee with just slower shuttle train services south and a compulsory change of train at Edinburgh. 


If like me you think we should "hang on the what we've got" join the campaign for a rethink on these issues and register your support with the Scottish Labour campaign.