Pages

21/06/2010

LEPRA Edinburgh to St Andrews Charity Cycle Ride


As part of Bike Week, I joined the 30th annual cycle ride from Edinburgh to St Andrews organised by, and in aid of, Leprosy in Action (LEPRA). I cycled along with my friend Geoffrey. My younger son Clem and his chums up from Cumbria also took part but were too fast for the veterans! The 67 mile bike ride, not a race, began at Inverleith Park's West Gate in Edinburgh at 08:45. Riders followed a well-posted route to the Forth Road Bridge. Subsequently, we skirted round the west of Dunfermline and then climbed over the Cleish Hills. After a lunch break in Kinross, we travelled through some of the glorious rolling Fife countryside, all the way to St Andrews. It was a really refreshing experience to be cycling alongside about 1500 other riders in this 30th anniversary run. On the way riders were expertly supported by repair vans from Edinburgh Bicycle Cooperative if they picked up a puncture or their derailleur gears starting misbehaving on the hills. Apart from the headwind, the weather conditions were ideal all day. I managed to raise £50 for the charity. Next year, I must get more organised at inviting sponsors to sign my form.