Pages

09/03/2010

Improving the Use of Assets and Resources

Tuesday was a training day for me. I attended a Master Class for Councillors in Scotland about our role and responsibility in improving the use of council assets and resources. This was organised by The Improvement Service, which was set up in 2005 to help enhance the efficiency, quality and accountability of local public services in Scotland.

This master class was led by
Colin Mair, the Chief Executive of the Improvement Service and Walter Foster, a former Director of Property with Fife Council. I found their input most enlightening. I also appreciated the opportunity to discuss these issues with elected members from other councils. All in all, this was a most valuable use of my day.

As the improvement service is directly funded by the Scottish Government, there is no fee levied on the City Council for my participation in this seminar and the other events in
the series. The only call on funds from the City Council is to reimburse my travelling expenses to this event.